problem GUI update

Hello,
  I 've coded an application using Gtk+ 1.2, which contains many pane
window.
  I also use gdk_input_add to handle  events on sockets.
  The problem is that panels don't update until the end of the processing on
the sockets.
 For example, if I switch to another pane during the processing the wigdet
inside are not visible.
 I tried different things to solve it:
 I put inside the function called by gdk_input_add the following code
1)
  while(gdk_events_pending())
     gdk_main_iteration_do(FALSE);

   it doesn't work

2)  while(g_main_pending())
     g_main_iteration(FALSE);

  it doesn't work more

3)   while(gtk_events_pending())
     gtk_main_iteration_do(FALSE);

  it doesn't work and it crashes on "gtk_events_pending"
with "_XEventsQueued () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6"

4)  gdk_flush()
 it doesn't work too

Does anyone have a solution/explanations?

Any help would be appreciated.