Re: Man pages, etc?

Yeah, it'd be nice to have docbook docs for them, but really, we need at the very least a summary man page that says where to look, since they're commandline tools, and people will expect man pages to exist in some form or other.

Also --help output would be good. :)

Now, as I understand it, the process is as follows:

  • Check out the module you wish to document and go to a directory with a lot of .h files.
  • Run the command gtkdoc-scan --module=[name-of-module] * to generate a list of function declarations.
  • Edit the list of function declarations, moving the SECTION tags as you see fit to organize them.
  • Run the command gtkdoc-mktmpl --module=[name-of-module] to create a directory called tmpl full of template SGML files. These files are the autogenerated documentation, which is basically comments and function arguments stripped from the code.
  • Edit the SGML files to improve the docs.
  • Run the command gtkdoc-mkdb to convert the template files into finalized SGML.
  • Submit your patches to the maintainer.

    Is that correct?

    I should note at this point that I'm a terrible programmer and don't actually come close to, you know, understanding the code I'm about to face...

    a.

    On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 13:58, Damon Chaplin wrote:
    On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 15:45, Aaron Weber wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    >    I'd like to volunteer to write some help for gtk-doc. Who's
    > maintaining it at this point, and where should I send man pages? I am
    > not 100% sure that I'd be right on the whole process...

    Matthias Clasen does some maintenance occasionally and James Henstridge
    helps out with the Makefile bits.

    I'm still the official maintainer, but I haven't looked at it for ages.

    Send man pages here or put them in bugzilla. I'd rather have DocBook
    docs though. man pages suck!

    Damon

    .TH "gtkdoc-mktmpl" "1" "0.1.0" "Damon Chaplin, Owen Taylor" "GTK Documentation Tools"
    .SH "NAME"
    .LP
    gtkdoc\-mktmpl \- Creates SGML template files from source code and the declaration files output by \fBgtkdoc\-scan\fR. These template files are edited and then converted to the finalized documentation with the command \fBgtkdoc\-mkdb.\fR
    .SH "SYNTAX"
    .LP
    gtkdoc\-mktmpl  <\fI\-\-module=[module\-name]\fP>
    .SH "DESCRIPTION"
    .LP
    The declaration, section, and declaration\-list files output from \fBgtkdoc\-scan\fR describe the structure of documentation. The command \fBgtkdoc\-mktmpl\fR takes that structure and creates a set of SGML templates in the <fb>tmpl\fR directory. The templates are outlines of the code, and contain any previously\-written documentation, including some kinds of comments in the code itself.
    .LP
    Once created, these templates can be edited, using standard DocBook markup. Some of the automatically\-generated documentation will not need changes; other portions will need to be filled in with additional detail, explanation, or syntax clarification.
    .LP
    After editing the templates, proceed to use the \fBgtkdoc\-mkdb\fR function to generate the finalized DocBook SGML output.
    .SH "OPTIONS"

    .LP
    .TP
    \fB\-\-output\-dir=\fR <\fIdirectory\fP>
    The directory in which the program will place the output files. If this flag is omitted, the current directory is used.
    .TP
    \fB\-\-module=\fR <\fImodulename\fP>
    The name of the CVS module or software program you are documenting. This flag is mandatory.
    .TP
    \fB\-\-help\fR
    Output help information and exit.
    .TP
    \fB\-\-version\fR
    Output version information and exit.
    .SH "EXAMPLES"
    .LP
    After editing the modules\-section.txt file, run this program to generate templates:
    .LP
    gtkdoc\-mktmpl \-\-module=myprogram
    .SH "AUTHORS"
    .LP
    Damon Chaplin <damon gnome org>
    Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
    .SH "SEE ALSO"
    .LP
    gtkdoc\-scanobj(1) gtkdoc\-scangobj(1) gtkdoc\-scan(1) gtkdoc\-mkdb(1)

    .TH "gtkdoc-scan" "1" "1.1" "Damon Chaplin, Owen Taylor" "GTK Documentation Tools"
    .SH "NAME"
    .LP
    gtkdoc\-scan \- Scans header files and previously created gtk\-doc documentation to create declaration and declaration\-list files. This is the first step in the gtk\-doc documentation process.
    .SH "SYNTAX"
    .LP
    gtkdoc\-scan \-\-module=[module] [\-\-output\-dir=\fIDIR\fR] <\fIfilename\fR>
    .SH "DESCRIPTION"
    .LP
    Given a code tree or a set of header files, gtkdoc\-scan creates several output files that describe the APIs in the code. The files are named according to the \fI\-\-module\fR flag:

    .TP
    module\-decl.txt
    Declarations \-\- the functions, objects, and so forth that are laid out in the header files.

    .TP
    module\-decl\-list.txt
    A shortened version of the declarations file, this lists the names of the declarations.

    .TP
    module\-sections.txt
    Defines the sections into which the documentation will be broken. By default, each header file corresponds with a section. To change the organization of the final output, edit this file.
    .SH "OPTIONS"
    .LP
    .TP
    \fB\-\-output\-dir=\fR <\fIdirectory\fP>
    The directory in which the program will place the output files. If this flag is omitted, the current directory is used.
    .TP
    \fB\-\-module=\fR <\fImodulename\fP>
    The name of the CVS module or software program you are documenting. This flag is mandatory.
    .TP
    \fB\-\-help\fR
    Output help information and exit.
    .TP
    \fB\-\-version\fR
    Output version information and exit.
    .SH "EXAMPLES"
    .LP
    To generate documentation for a project, enter the top\-level project directory and run the command:
    .br
    gtkdoc\-scan \-\-module=myproject *
    .LP
    Depending on the type of code you are documenting, you may also wish to use the commands \fBgtkdoc\-gobjscan\fR and \fBgtkdoc\-objscan\fR to scan object\-oriented code blocks.
    .LP
    Once the scan is complete, edit the myproject\-sections.txt file if you wish to rearrange the documentation. Then, proceed to use the command \fBgtkdoc\-mktmpl\fR.
    .SH "AUTHORS"
    .LP
    Damon Chaplin <damon gnome org>
    Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
    .SH "SEE ALSO"
    .LP
    gtkdoc\-scanobj(1) gtkdoc\-scangobj(1) gtkdoc\-mktmpl(1)