Re: Indic input methods

Pablo Saratxaga <pablo mandrakesoft com> writes:

> Kaixo!
>
> On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 10:27:25AM +0530, G Karunakar wrote:
> > Ooops I did'nt include the changes to makefiles
> > See the new attachments
>
> well, it tells how to compile, but not how to use it.
>
> Should I define a variable, do some special keystroke?
>
> For example if I want to type some words in devanagari and others
> in tamil script, what should I do?

You can switch input methods from the right click menu in a GtkEntry
or GtkTextView widget.

The implementation of these input methods looks fine, but I'm a little
uncertain about them in one regard - they really are just keymaps, not
input methods, and it should be possible to do these with a Xkb
keyboard map.

(Assuming that the Xkb tools are able to handle the semi-standard
extension where a key symbol for Unicode characters without a standard
key symbol is assigned character | 0x01000000)

It doesn't strike me as quite right to do a Indic keyboard map by
assuming a US keyboard map, then having the input method remap the
results of that to the Indic keyboard.

I still don't have a good feel for the proper interaction between
keyboard maps and input methods.

Regards,
                                        Owen