Re: [gtk-list] naming conventions

Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu> writes:

> Just one little question: did you have any reason not to follow standard
> X naming convention for functions?
> I guess you understand what I am talking about, the XCopyArea() function
> in your API would look like x_copy_area().
> As a result, the code which uses gtk doesn't look like a typpical X
> development. I realize, this is minor thing, but if you remember (I do :),
> people started switching to C because code in lower case looked nicer.

Well, I can't speak for Peter, but I would guess it was partly to
follow the GNU coding standards. The reason given there, if I recall
correctly, is that lower_case_with_underscores is easier to read than
MixedCapsAllRunTogether, especially for non-native speakers of
English.

I don't think conformance to the way X names things is very important,
since GTK covers X completely with the GDK layer.

Regards,
                                        Owen