Re: [gtk-list] Re: Patch: (radio|check)menuitem, list.

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Peter Mattis wrote:

> Johannes Keukelaar writes:
> >1 & 2): radiomenuitems and checkmenuitems would only show their `dimple' when
> >they're either selected or prelighted (i.e. have the mouse over them) in the
> >current version of gtk+. This patch makes them always show their dimple, and
> >the appropriate one (i.e. in or out) when they are prelighted.
>
> Um, it was not a bug for radio and check menu items to only show their
> dimple when selected or prelighted. That was there by design as that
> is basically the way motif works. (Actually, motif only shows the
> dimple when a menu item is selected).
>
> I prefer not to have the dimples always shown as this would make a
> menu like the "Go" menu in Netscape fairly ugly. I'm open to arguments
> one way or another, but please (CVS folks) don't simply apply this
> patch blindly.

IMO, it's pretty clear that a checkmenuitem or radiomenuitem should be
visibly distinguishable from a normal menuitem, both in checked and
unchecked states. Therefore, show the dimple. Hiding the dimple means the
user doesn't know what the response will be to some menu entries.