Re: [gtk-list] Re: DOCUMENTATION (yes, this is shouted)

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, KC5TJA wrote:

> And I'm not kidding about Xlib either.  GTK is wonderful in that it does
> take care of a lot of stuff for you, but at the same time, I think it's
> taking care of a little TOO much.  I'd love to learn how to write for GDK
> instead, but again -- no documentation; not even a tutorial!

Gdk is exactly like Xlib with the functions renamed, with a few
exceptions. So if you figure out Xlib you'll be fine with Gdk.

> The interface that I'm writing requires an icon view of a container.
> Something reasonably simple.  However, for the life of me, I cannot figure
> out how to do it.

> For this reason, I was interested in using a
> GtkDrawingArea.  But the documentation for THAT stops at how to create
> one.  What do I do after it's created?!  What kind of events can I expect
> from a drawing area?  Etc.

It's just an empty window - basically the only thing you can create with
Xlib.:-) You have to make Gdk calls to draw on it, etc. - just like using
Xlib, pretty much.

Gtk doing too much is *definitely* not a problem with the DrawingArea.

The Tutorial does have a DrawingArea example (the scribble program at the
end).

> I'm still going to play with it, of course.  :-)  If I can use GTK for
> this purpose, then great -- it'll shave that much off my development time.
> But otherwise, I may just have to use GTK to create the window, and use
> Xlib for most everything else.  :(

Sounds like GnomeCanvas might do what you want.

Havoc