Java binding for gtk ?

Does anyone know of a java binding for gtk.  I have seen references to
for bindings for c++,effiel, python, perl,etc on the web site, but
nothing about java.  Is this because there is something fundementally
incompatible between the two, or just no one has gotten around to doing
it. I'd be very interested in writing some apps for gnome, but having
gotten used to java, I'm not too keen on going back to C.

If no binding exists, could people who have done other bindings be able
to give some hints as to how difficult it is to create a binding to the
gtk ?  I am fairly competant with Java, but I've never done anything
like a binding so I'm not quite sure what would be involved.

Any help would be most appreciated,
Thanks,

Maksim Lin.
Maksim Lin
Centre for Object Technology Applications and Research
Swinburne University of Technology