CList updates

I have a question about using a CList. I have a simple
app that will receive a string from a socket and
display it in a CList. It will also send data. I am
using pthread's for receiving data. I know its over
kill to use a seperate thread for this but I am just
trying to familiarize myself with some of the tools.

The problem I am having is that whenever I use
gtk_clist_append I have to press a key or move the
mouse in and out of the window in order for this
change to be displayed. Do I need to force the
redisplay of the CList and if so how do I do that.

I have tried using gdk_init_thread and surrounding
gtk_main with gdk_thread_enter and gdk_thread_leave.
However, this just hung my app.

Thanks in advance for the help. -Matt Gilbert