gtk 1.2.6 prob

Hi. I'm trying to install gtk1.2.6 and it keeps telling me that I need glib

1.2.6. Says my current version is 1.2.1 even though I went and got 1.2.6 and installed it

without any errors. Running gtk1.2.6 the 2nd time, it still says I need to

upgrade to 1.2.6...how do I solve this? I dont know how to check the

current version of my glib or where it should be. So I dont know if the

program is making an error or if I"m doing something wrong...could you help

me solve this as easily as possible? Thanks. Easiest way to fix this says is to remove the old glib...but how do I do that? do I rm -r /usr/local/lib/glib maybe? Here's my ld.so.conf:

/usr/i486-linuxaout/lib

/usr/lib

/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib

/usr/X11R6/lib