Question about GDK_ROOT_PARENT

I have been  working on writing a (supercool, obviously) screensaver under GTK and am having trouble getting hold of the root window.  I have seen a fair number of posts on this here in the archives along with useful code posts, but my problem seems to be different.

The simplest way of getting the root window seems to be to use GDK_ROOT_PARENT().  However, when I use this in my code I am unable to compile - it claims that GDK_ROOT_PARENT is an undefined reference.  I can compile using GDK_ROOT_WINDOW(), but am unsure what the difference between the two is.

My question is this: has anyone else had trouble compiling with GDK_ROOT_PARENT?

I am including the gdkx.h file, which looks like it defines both GDK_ROOT_PARENT and GDK_ROOT_WINDOW.  In gtkx.h there is a conditional compile based on the whether or not GDK_INSIDE_X11 is defined.  I can see that GDK_ROOT_PARENT is only defined in one of these branches - I have tried manually defining (and undefining) the GDK_INSIDE_X11 to see if that fixes it but no dice.

I am wondering if maybe my installation of GTK is flaky.  (I am using the most recent version - 2.0).  Or is there something I need to define or undefine?  Another file I need to include?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

steve chubb
stephen chubb db com

PS - if anyone's interested, the screensaver randomly deals a game of freecell and graphically plays out the solution.  all of that is working (finding the solution is the hardest part) and I've got it working in a standard GTK toplevel window, but I just need for it to output to the root window for it to be really and completely done.