RE: Order of widgets when displayed on top of each other

> From: Paul Davis [mailto:paul linuxaudiosystems com]
> you still have to go outside of GTK+ to get (for example):

It's hard to get stuff into GTK+ because GTK+ has very high quality levels.
That's good. If people want something to go into GTK+ then they have to be
prepared to discuss it thoroughly, provide rationale, and go through a few
iterations until they get it right. So far nobody has done that for these
things. It's not up to the GTK+ maintainers to do it all. Stuff happens when
people care enough about it to do it themselves.

>     * plotting

gtkextra is an awful mess. Maybe Gnumeric's new stuff will be a good
candidate.

>     * a canvas

libgnomecanvas is famously buggy and awkward. Maybe foocanvas is a good
candidate.

>     * knobs

Now you are just being rude.

>     * a sensible file selector (this is coming, apparently)

I thought you were not talking about replacements.

> yet each of these has been around in various forms for years.

Yet they have not reached the necessary level of quality and nobody has
really tried to make them reach it. Dodgy stuff should stay in extra
libraries until it stops being dodgy.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com