Re: GTK Warning

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 05:31, Steve Slade wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm very new to the world of UNIX having been introduced through my
> recent purchase of OS X. I am trying to find alternatives to programs
> such as Photoshop and Dreamweaver. I found the Gimp and Bluefish. I
> downloaded Fink and began installing GTK, Gimp, and Bluefish.
>
> I loaded the fourth CD Xcode Tools that came with Panther (OS X 10.3).
> I installed GTK from source through Finkcommander (I still am tied to
> GUI's) and then installed the other two programs in the same way.
>
> When I try to launch Gimp or Bluefish from a terminal window, I get
> this error:
> 	GTK-Warning **: Cannot open display: :0.0

I'm kind-of guessing here, but it looks like you need to be running an
"X server".  This is the program that most versions of Unix use to draw
things on screen and handle mouse and keyboard inputs.

Have a look for information on X servers that run under OS X; IIRC
there's one that comes with Fink, and maybe one comes with Panther?  You
ought to be able to find a freely downloadable one.

Hope this helps

Dave