Re: Migrating to gtk 2

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 05:05, cosminb saguaro ro wrote:

> We developed an application using gtk 1.2. This aplication is supported for
> RedHat/Fedora, SuSe, Turbo and Caldera linux distributions.
> We might consider to migrate our application to gtk 2, but we are not sure
> when to do that..

GTK+-1.2 is no longer supported by the GTK+ team. You should start
working on migrating immediately.

> Does anybody know if gtk 1.2 package will be removed from future versions
> of one of these distros (and if so, when or in what distribution version)?

It's unlikely we'll remove GTK+-1.2 from Red Hat Enterprise Linux or
Fedora for another year or so, though we are trying hard to get
rid of all GTK+-1.2 applications we ship.

> Also, until when gtk 1.2 will be available for download from www.gtk.org ?

Well, we still have a versions of GTK+ from 1997 (0.99 and earlier)
on ftp.gtk.org. So, v1.2 will be there for the forseeable future.
But that doesn't imply that we are supporting it any more, and in
fact, the tarball as distributed won't even compile on many modern
systems without updating the build tools.

Regards,
						Owen