Re: compiling

Well, if you don't learn how make and configure work, then things are
going to be a wee bit hard for you.  If you plan on doing any serious
development, they are useful tools to learn anyways.

For learning make, I would recommend reading "Managing Projects with
make", by O'Reilly Publishing.

Also, "Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool", by New Riders Publishing is a
good read for learning configure and related tools.

-Aaron