Re: Usability of the GTK+ 2 file open dialog

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 11:12 +1100, Peter Eckersley wrote:

> This fragment of a solution is a good example of my problems with the GTK2
> chooser.  It works fine, but *only* if the file path you want to type starts
> with /  .  Typing relative paths, or paths that start with ~, leads to random
> crazyness.

And actually typing a path that begins with a slash really requires two
slashes.  One to open the input box and then another slash to actually
begin the path.  For paths beginning with ~ (something I use
frequently), I have to type /~ (or Ctrl-L ~).

Understandably the "/" key is a hidden power-user shortcut while normal
folks are supposed to hit Ctrl-L (which is a standard combination across
a variety of apps and OSes).  I might have to hack the code to at least
make it so that if I press the "/" key I get the input field with a
slash already in it.  And maybe add "~" to be a shortcut key to the say
dialog but place a ~ already in the field.

The inconsistency the you mention would still be there, though.  Typing
a full path or one beginning with a ~ would work as expected, but typing
in a relative path would just open the file searching thing.

Michael