Gtk Responsiveness

Hi,
 I'm running Gtk+directfb on a TI dm355. Looks great, but the response time for my UI is sluggish (lag time between button press and screen update).

 I've tried different engines (industrial, crux, clearlooks) and have found they slow things down or speed things up to a varying degree.

Any advice for getting my app to be ultra-jaunty? Not sure if it's just a matter of choosing a particular fast engine, or if there are other things to tweak.

On a separate note, I still have an issue where widgets seem to fuzz out and then grow crisp when I move focus, not sure what's going on there.

Any hints or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Paul