tutorial on hiding a widget and showing another in it's place?

Hi Everyone

I have a table of buttons. On clicking a button I would like a new table of buttons to take the first tables place.

I am assuming I do this by hiding the first table, and inserting another in the callback function but I am not quite sure and it would be nice to see the standard way of doing this before i reinvent the wheel.

Could someone point me to a good tutorial on this or if you happen to have a bit of code handy, to post it? I am okay with a variety languages if it is not in C.

Thanks-Patrick