Re: [Gtk-osx-devs] Testing Gnucash Intel 2.3.9

On Mar 9, 2010, at 4:33 PM, Vincent Lucarelli wrote:

> John,
>
> The script still fails.  I think that it is related to a change in AppleScript on Snow Leopard.
>
> The following almost works:
>
> set appPath to path to me
> set gnc_fq_update_alias to path to resource "gnc-fq-update" in bundle appPath
> set gnc_fq_update to (POSIX path of gnc_fq_update_alias)
>
> tell application "Terminal"
> 	do script "sudo " & quoted form of POSIX path of gnc_fq_update
> end tell
>

> But fails after opening a terminal and I type my root password with
> sudo: /Applications/Intel/FinanceQuoteUpdate.app/Contents/Resources/gnc-fq-update: command not found
>
> because gnc-fq-update is an alias to /Users/john/Gnucash Intel 2.3.10/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnc-fq-update
> (which I'm assuming is the path to GnuCash on your machine).
>
> So I deleted the alias and then made a symbolic link in the terminal:
>
> > cd  /Applications/Intel/FinanceQuoteUpdate.app/Contents/Resources
> > rm gnc-fq-update
> > ln -s ../../../Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnc-fq-update .
>
> Then double clicking the FinanceQuoteUpdate in the finder brought up the terminal
> and after typing the root password, starting pulling from CPAN.
>
> Can you embed a symbolic link in a bundle?  Or, can you manipulate paths
> in AppleScript to look in the GnuCash bundle and not the FinanceQuoteUpdate?

Vince,

Rats.

Obviously, you can make a symlink in a bundle, because you did. I think you're right, the symlink is more robust across creating the dmg and then dragging the files back out than is the Finder alias. I'll do that in future.

I tried "telling Finder" to find the resource in Gnucash, but Finder doesn't seem to know about application Gnucash until you've launched it once. That *really* doesn't work with the Update Dirs script, because the Gnucash Finder knows about probably doesn't have aqbanking-cli in it.

Regards,
John Ralls