Re: [gtk-osx-users] Support of Older OS X Versions

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016, Miroslav Rajcic wrote:

Hi John,

do you ask this question for GTK 3.x only?

I am very much interested in GTK 2.x supporting older versions of OS X too.

Me too, but I think this ought to be a moot point, since I don't suppose there will ever be a GTK 2 release that raises the GLib dependency beyond the current level of 2.28.0, and it's new GLib that's the issue here. (Personally, I favor GLib 2.36.4 for my GTK2/OS X build, as the most recent version that doesn't raise extra dependencies that I don't care to handle.)

I asked the users of my own program the same question, and I got a number of users telling me that they still use OS X 10.6.x.

As Wikipedia notes, "From 2012 onwards, OS X shifted to an annual release schedule similar to that of iOS ... Some journalists and third-party software developers have suggested that this decision, while allowing more rapid feature release, meant less opportunity to focus on stability, with no version of OS X recommendable for users requiring stability and performance above new features."

I've kept OS X up-to-date on my Macbook so I can test my GTK application for breakage, but if I were just going for stability and usability I'd probably still be running 10.6.8.

Allin Cottrell