gvfsd-metadata

Hi all,

We are facing an issue on an NFS filer containing users' homes.

Some profiles have gvfsd-metadata using too much CPU on the client and, on the filer, just a few clients can use 60-70 % of the CPU, thus causing delays for all users.

After googling a little, I find a great deal of users facing similar issues and they suggest to remove the directory $HOME/.local/share/gvfs-metadata.

I have some questions :

 * what is the purpose of gvfsd-metadata (I'm told it does indexing of
   entire filesystems, but I doubt it) ?
 * is there some best practice on .local/share/gvfs-metadata on NFS ?
 * can i disable this daemon without facing some more problems ?
 * and what is the best way to disable it ?

Regards,
Christophe Drevet.