Custom conflict colors

Hi,

first, thanks for this great application. Since I converted
to a dark gtk scheme, meld's output is hardly readable
to me.  I found an earlier post on changing colors [1],
yet the gconf keys do not seem to have an effect. Has
something changed since 2006 or am I doing it wrong?
I fire up gconf-editor, navigate to /apps/meld and add
keys for color_conflict_fg, color_delete_fg, color_inline_fg.
Neither plain color names as Pink or rgb values as #ffb100
seem to work, not after restarting meld or after logging out
and back in (both added as strings and without quotes or
something).
I'm on Fedora 10 Cambridge with a local installation.

Thanks for any hints,
Matt

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/meld-list/2006-February/msg00004.html