Empty comparison windows

I've had three people report getting empty comparison windows.  Both with directory and text comparisons.  I've not been able to reproduce this (but my system is configured as EN US), but it seems like a system (possibly GTK) configuration problem.  Both users were using Chinese locale I believe.  Has anyone run into this before?  I'm not sure what to suggest.  One of the users reported that he was able to get Meld to work when he set environment variable LANG=en_US.

-Keegan