Re: Some thoughts about some things

Hi Vincent,

I was out this week-end, so I haven't do much work for the committee.
I'll send the mail to the applicants to let them know that we're
processing their applications right after this mail.

Ghee, you wondered if you should approve/reject applications from Sun
employees. If you think that one of these applications should be
rejected, I think it's ok that you reject it. For the other ones, it may
be better that you don't approve them if we want to show that the
committee is not biased. However, I wonder if this will be useful.
Glynn, what's your experience with that ?

        I have approved as much non-Sun applicants as possible except one.
        Peter Korn is the only I have approved but he is such a clear
        applicant that no one would reject him based on his contribution to
        GNOME accessibility. Let me give you a list of Sun names that I
        know of their works and recommend their acceptances, but the rest of
        the committee should have the final say on these. This way, the
        approval process should be reasonably unbiased. There are also whole
        bunch of them that I don't know of thier works, which you guys (or me)
        may have to assess them separately.

        Recommended list of applicants:

        301 Brian Nitz                    02/10/29
        <brian nitz sun com>
        - Alpha, Beta customer supports for Sun GNOME since 1.4, logged
          hundred of bugs in bugzilla.

        302 Dermot McCluskey              02/10/29
        <dermot mccluskey sun com>
        - Test Team lead of GTK+ test suites which have been contributed
          back to the community.

        304 Irene Ryan                    02/10/29
        <irene ryan sun com>
        - Doc writer who has written hundred of pages of user guides etc
          and her work is also contributed back  to the community.

        306 L\303\241szl\303\263 P\303\251ter                   02/10/29
        <laca sun com>
        - Lead release engineer for Sun GNOME, also contributed in terms
          of bug fixes to the community.

        337 Darren Kenny                  02/10/31
        <darren kenny sun com>
        - Maintainer of java accessibility bridge which should be made
          avaiable to community as part of the accesibility team.
          [ He is one of those whose application arrives a few hours late ]

I looked at the latest applications. It seems the last two came after we
close the applications for elections (October 31th, 23:59 UTC). But I
feel that we could accept that these guys (if approved) vote this year:
I'm sure that, in their mind, they were not late. What do you think ?

        I am happy to give them that grace period for the 24 hours of so.
        Given the time zone 'confusion'.

Now, the biggest problem: in 25 hours, we will stop accepting new
candidacies for the elections. Right now, we have 6 official
candidacies, Hadess' candidacy (he didn't send a summary to
elections gnome org, but it's not a real problem), and soon Jeff's
candidacy. That's a total of only 8. Jeff proposed "to add some more
time to the process". I would like to avoid this, but it may be
necessary. What's your advice on this ? Mine is that we could be opened
for new candidates until Friday evening (Nov 8th) if we don't have
enough candidates. But I'd really like to avoid this...

        We can only send out another reminder, we are the membersip
        committee, not the board. The by-law should cover the case when
        the number of board is less than certain critical numbers. Should the
        candidancy is less than the required, whether or not we are going to
        extend out the period would required permission or recommendtaion
        from the existing board members.

        In short, these decisions should not be made by us but we should
        inform the board about this potential issues.

-Ghee

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas presses.