Re: Guidelines for Foundation membership

Hi guys,

Today at 11:57, Dave Neary wrote:

These seem clear-cut to me:

Translator example:
Yes (after asking a reference to vouch for him), Yes (after checking a
po file), Yes.

I agree (except that I'd check with reference in the last case as
well if applicant didn't already have a CVS account).

Provided they list all the valid references, it's quite simple
to check with coordinators (I'd urge all translation membership
requests to also be supported by a team coordinator, as listed on
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/teams.html; team coordinators
are to support themselves, and would usually list one of the GTP
spokespersons as their contact).  GTP can also try to deduce a certain
"objective" threshold for minimum translations for Foundation
membership (in eg. translated message count, or count of translated
modules), but I'd rather not go into that.

Also, I can suggest another simple way to deduce whether someone
should be accepted: "if they have a CVS account (translation team
coordinators usually get one after a dozen or so submitted
translations), and are contributing for a period longer than
[insert-your-preference-here], they are automatically accepted."

As far as I see it, to keep Foundation a meritocracy, we're actually
looking for proof that those applying will be contributing in the
future (during their membership)âreason we have the "checks" and
"renewing" in the first place IMU(nderstanding).  That's why continued
contributions (such as "maintaining a translation for at least six
months") are much  more valuable, because they increase chances
applicant will continue doing that.

There are other alternative ways to resolve this (such as giving a
initial membership for 12 months to translators, and only afterwards
prolonging "term" to 24 months), but I don't have a very strong
opinion on this.

Cheers,
Danilo