RE: shift=and-close-the-current-folder?

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 10:48, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> Havoc, is there any chance of Metacity surrendering Alt-Shift-Arrow (see 6.
> below) to nautilus so we can have Mac-like keyboard navigation in Spatial
> Nautilus?
>
> Alt-Ctrl-Arrow (See 4. below) is also an option, I think, but Calum [2]
> thinks that it would be confusing because Ctrl is used for accessibility
> focus navigation (see 2 below).
>
> I know that window manager afficionados like these things a lot, but I do
> think that file management is a far more common operation than workspace
> switching for the majority of users.
>
> I suppose we could use Alt-WindowsKey (= Alt-Super in most cases) but I
> don't like relying heavily on such a bizarre key.

You're missing one thing: shift-click is extend selection in the list
view (and we want to extend this to the icon view too), so
shift-double-click doesn't work well (it can unselect items).

Personally I think Ctrl-Alt-up/down + Ctrl-double click would be a
better combo. Ctrl-click means "select without unselecting rest", so if
we make sure the behaviour of this selection mode is right (like the
current icon view) ctrl-double-click is non-destructive, and we can use
that.

Of course, ctrl-alt-up/down conflicts with metacity again. However, I
think this it is ok to remove this binding in metacity because:
* I consider this form of workspace switching quite inefficient, and I
think heavy users of workspaces already mapped up Ctrl-Fn or similar to
immediately go to the right workspace.
* Causual users can use the workspace switcher
* Other applications are bound to want the alt-ctrl-arrow keys also,
they are very useful

Of course, this is the defaults. We still allow users to map
<whatever>-arrow to switch workspaces. And maybe we should change
alt-shift to do workspace switching instead of move-window-to-workspace,
since that operation is in the window menu, so you can already use the
keyboard with: alt-space <number>.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an all-American flyboy werewolf moving from town to town, helping folk in
trouble. She's a time-travelling psychic bounty hunter who believes she is the
reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!