Re: Volume names in Gnome 2.8

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 09:27 +0200, Thomas Wiesehöfer wrote:
> How can I change how Nautilus 2.8 displays volume names in the
> "Computer" window? I had configured mount points for all my Windows
> hard drives:
>
> /mnt/C
> /mnt/D
> /mnt/H
>
> Nautilus 2.6 displayed them as

> in the Computer window. Now I'm using Nautilus 2.8 with hotplug
> support, and while the mount points are still the same, Nautilus now
> displays the model number of the hard drives and the partition number
> in front of the volume label:
>
> SAMSUNG SV1203N (2): E
> SAMSUNG SV1203N (3): D
> SAMSUNG SV1604N (2): H
> SAMSUNG SV1604N (3): C
>
> Now the computer window is confusing (all hard drives have very
> similar names), cluttered (the long names do not fit in one line in
> icon view) and no longer sorted correctly.
> I tried to find a way to switch back to the old naming scheme, but
> couldn't find anything. Can anybody help me? Thanks in advance!

You're using the HAL support in gnome-vfs, right?
The volume naming is gonna change:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-vfs-list/2004-September/msg00066.html

For now i recommend not using it, since it has some serious problems.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a short-sighted day-dreaming photographer haunted by memories of 'Nam.
She's a wealthy French-Canadian politician with an MBA from Harvard. They
fight crime!