Re: Automatic eth0 lost, and using DHCP send-hostname

On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 12:45 +0100, The Holy ettlz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just giving NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.11.svn3846.fc{89} a spin. A couple of
> things:
>
>  1. My F8 machine has only "System eth0" (no auto),
>     and my F9 machine has only "Auto eth0".
>
> I've purged /system/networking/connections in gconf, and restarted
> nm-applet, but I can't get the "missing" connections back. Shouldn't
> there be both? And how can I choose which one I want to auto-connect?

Your F8 machine has a /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file
then.  The system settings service will create automatic wired
connections for those devices that don't have any existing system
connection found.  So on your F9 machine, you do not have any ifcfg
files and thus the automatic connection is created.

> Actually, it seems that if I enable eth0 on boot on the F8 machine with
> s-c-n, it will autoconnect "System eth0"... this doesn't *seem* to be
> required on F9, since it only presents "Auto eth0". Maybe the s-c-n
> checkbox should be relabeled "Connect automatically whenever link
> available" or something?

s-c-n operates on ifcfg files, which are "connections" in NM
terminology.  Thu

>  2. I can't seem to get the DHCP send-hostname feature to work.

It only works for system connections at the moment, but if you have
DHCP_HOSTNAME in your ifcfg file, it should pick that up and send it.
Verify this by dumping /var/run/nm-dhclient-eth0.conf and seeing what
options are in it.

> I've set it using s-c-n, but in F9 (choosing "Auto eth0") the machine
> gets bound to a dynamically-assigned name, *not* the DHCP_HOSTNAME I
> configured in ifcfg-<interface>. I still need the
> old /etc/dhclient*.conf for it to work. Likewise in F8 (choosing "System
> eth0"), although I've not been able to get it working even
> with /etc/dhclient*.conf in place.
>
> What have I done wrong?

On your F9 box, could you stop NetworkManager, 'killall -TERM
nm-system-settings', and the provide the output of the following
command?  You can Ctl+C it after about 10 seconds or so.

/usr/sbin/nm-system-settings --debug --plugins=ifcfg-fedora

Thanks!
Dan