Re: How to deal with a new Wifi Adapter?

On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 12:24 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
Hi,
I'm currently running Fedora 29 and my embedded wifi adapter is
failing.  So I bought a USB Wifi adapter, which seems to be working
well..  Except for one problem:  Network Manager does not know to
apply
all my existing wifi connection information to the new adapter.

Short of going through each connection, changing it to the new
adapter,
then deleting the "<SSID> 2" network that gets created --- is there
some
way to tell NM to apply all wifi networks to all wifi adapters?

Hi,

I'd do:

    UUIDS="$(nmcli -g TYPE,UUID connection show | \
                    sed -n 's/802-11-wireless://p')"

    for UUID in $UUIDS; \
    do \
        nmcli \
           -f
connection.id,connection.uuid,802-11-wireless.ssid,connection.interface-name,802-11-wireless.mac-address \
           -mode multiline \
           connection show uuid "$UUID" ; \
        echo ; \
    done

if you want to clear these values:

    for UUID in $UUIDS; \
    do \
        echo "$UUID ..." ; \
        nmcli connection modify uuid "$UUID" \
            connection.interface-name '' \
            wifi.mac-address '' ; \
    done

In a similar vein, is there a way to tell NM to disable to embedded
wifi
adapter?

put

  [device-unmanage-internal-wifi]
  match-device=mac:aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
  managed=0

to /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/99-unmanaged-internal-wifi.conf and
restart.

Or even blacklist the module from loading in /etc/modprobe.d.

best,
Thomas