Orca libbrlapi1-dev must be installed for braille support with ??

Hi all. I just discovered something that I figured was worth mentioning here for documentation via list archive. Perhaps it should be included on the Orca wiki as well (unless it's already there and I just am missing it).

It seems that installing libbrlapi1-dev may be necessary if you want to use a refreshable braille display with Orca -- at least with Ubuntu. On two of my systems, I'm migrating over to Edgy. On one system I tried setting up an Alva Braille Terminal; on the other a Braille Lite in speech box mode. In both cases, they worked "out of the box" with Gnopernicus, but not were not recognized by Orca. After installing libbrlapi1-dev on each machine, the displays worked as expected. I don't *believe* that this is an issue unique to Edgy: I did have a hard time getting braille working under Dapper, but to be honest I wasn't being all that systematic with what I tried back then; this time I paid attention. <smile>

Take care.
Joanie