Re: [orca-list] D-Bus and orca, orca and QT4 applications

Jason White wrote:
Or make QT support Corba as the inter-process communication mechanism.
That would seem to really be a waste of time since AT-SPI has already decided to move away from Corba. And free software accessibility really has no resources to waste.
The most recent discussion of this subject that I read occurred late last year
on the Gnome accessibility list.
The intended move away from Corba is declared for example here:
 http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/GetInvolved (search "at-spi on dbus")

Quote: "We need to look to migrating away from CORBA (ORBit/Bonobo) since the rest of the community is doing so. If we don't migrate away, GNOME Accessibility will become the de facto maintainer of this code. In addition..." Also the migration plan is available and part of it is the analysis that shows that the supposed problems with speed are not a real problem.

It has also recently (last month) been discussed in the gnome-accessibility
list
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-accessibility-list/2008-February/msg00093.html where Willie Walker declared that it is the intention to migrate AT-SPI to DBus.

I must however stress that this has been discussed since a long time ago and it was the base for the decision of KDE Accessibility to take this approach with QT4.

With regards,
Hynek Hanke