[orca-list] orca and sound

last night the main person who has worked to get me running linux installed hardy beta for me on my laptop.
i am finding firefox 3 is deffinately an improvement.
however i have a few questions about sound.
i presume with hardy if i go to any site which uses sound i will need to install the codecs or do it when playing cds and dvds. should i for example get g-streamer using apt-get if the package manager in ubuntu is still not accessible with orca which seemed to update when i updated hardy this morning?
also do i need to change the sound preferences for soundmixing?
i looked at the sound settings in gnome and a lot of the settings seem to be set to autoaudio or something.
do any of these settings need to be changed?