Re: [orca-list] What is a good Linux for ORCA?

This is a commonly asked question, below are some of my suggestions but I feel distribution choice is a personal one as we all want something different out of our computers, so in some ways the best way to choose one distribution is to try a few for yourself.

I personally suggest using a debian based system, either plain debian or GRML (although GRML may not be the best choice for those totally new to Linux as you are getting packages from both GRML and Debian and so may find cases where dependencies can't be resolved). Debian and GRML both seem to be not affected by some of the audio integration problems which plague some distributions like ubuntu.

Another Debian based distro you may want to try is the 2.0 releases of vinux. I know you mentioned vinux but the earlier versions were based on ubuntu where as the 2.0 releases (currently 2.0alpha2) are based on debian.

Another system I liked what saw for using orca was opensolaris. Now opensolaris is not strictly linux and so some Linux software will not run on it (eg. speakup for text consoles, and binary packages like voxin, ttsynth or any other bundle including viavoice). Also when I looked at it sound card was certainly more limited than Linux and so this may also cause a problem. Should those potential problems not affect you then opensolaris looked very good and is the platform where a significant part of orca development is done and so integration is good.

Now you seemed to indicate that you may only be doing basic text tasks, so the question may be raised do you really need orca, would a text console screen reader (eg. speakup or YASR) be enough? In this case then GRML may be more suited, or distros like slackware might also be of interest (I wouldn't recommend slackware for use with orca as gnome isn't part of the official distribution and so you are relying on third party packages of gnome and the quality of these do vary).

I haven't mentioned rpm based systems, this is mainly due to me trying debian and GRML and not feeling the need to look any further, so this should not be taken as a reflection of their quality and value for being considered.

As I said, try a few out, the LiveCDs for the distros may help here or may be you want to even try and set up a virtual machine to install some in to have a proper try.

Michael Whapples