Re: [orca-list] Keybindings for ARIA landmark roles

Hi, Will:

I think m and shift+m m are OK for landmarks.

I have a second request regarding landmarks, however. I would find it
ultra useful to start focus on the main content landmark when a page is
retrieved. Perhaps this could be a configuration choice in case some
people wouldn't want this, or would be confused by it. But, starting
with page contents without haveing to first slog through the nav bar
seems like a real win. I know it was one of the reasons for the landmark
specification in W3C.

Janina

Willie Walker writes:
Hey All:

I need your input.

Right now, we have two unbound functions in Orca to jump to the previous
and next ARIA landmark.  The main purpose of a landmark is to help
identify portions of a web page that are of some typical interest to a
user.  For example, the "search" area, the "navigation" area, the "main
content" area, etc., can all be landmarks.  See
htp://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/#landmark for more info.

To avoid cluttering the keymap, we've not bound these two functions to
key combinations in Orca.  I've received a few requests, however, to
provide default keybindings for them.

An example use of landmarks is at http://wiki.codetalks.org.  If you
want to try them out:

1) Give the Firefox window focus
2) Press Ctrl+Orca+Space to bring up the Firefox-specific preferences
for Orca
3) Go to the Keybindings Tab and define bindings for the next and
previous landmark functions.

The 'l' and 'Shift+l' bindings are taken for navigating between list
items, but 'm' and 'Shift+m' seem to be free.  I'm curious about your
thoughts on using these keybindings for navigating between landmarks.
'm' would take you to the next landmark in a page and 'Shift+m' would
take you to the previous landmark.

Will