Re: [orca-list] Task for budding Orca script writer: Update/refresh the ubiquity installer orca script.

Hey Luke.

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 12:18 +1000, Luke Yelavich wrote:
Please don't CC me, I am subscribed to the orca list.

Doesn't mailman not send duplicates? I don't have the CC problem.
Anyhoo...

As above, I'm happy to do this, however I'd like to ask the community
that they please keep testing to make sure this script works. I cannot
be looking everywhere for everything to see if everything still works.
I don't work full time on accessibility as it is.

Well, then the least I can do is meet you half way, right? :-)

The following is not based on testing, but simply on looking at what you
currently have in your originally-attached script. Hope it helps!

========================= New World Order =========================

- All application scripts did get moved to their own directories,
  however, I did *not* remove support for scripts which do not live in
  their own directories. (I simply won't accept scripts that aren't in
  their own directories. :-) ) As a result, I don't think you'll be
  impacted by that. ubiquity.py (once otherwise fixed) will be lonely,
  but functional.

- util.getDisplayedText() -> self.utilities.displayedText()

- util.findByRole() -> self.utilities.descendantsWithRole()

- import util needs to be deleted as it hasn't existed in years

- import pyatspi will need to be added for the next item.

- rolenames.ROLE_FOO -> pyatspi.ROLE_FOO (you missed another
  refactor/conversion from way back when :-) )

- foo.role -> foo.role() (part of the pyatspi migration)

- foo.child(n) -> foo[n] (part of the pyatspi migration)

- speech.speak() doesn't adhere to my "If Orca speaks it, Orca shall
  braille it" fiat. But it won't be broken either. You're just leaving
  out folks who are deaf-blind. Or for whom audio is a no-go, but
  braille is still an option. I'd prefer self.presentMessage(). Here's
  the docstring for your convenvience:

        """Convenience method to speak a message and 'flash' it in braille.

        Arguments:
        - fullMessage: This can be a string or a list. This will be presented
          as the message for users whose flash or message verbosity level is
          verbose.
        - briefMessage: This can be a string or a list. This will be presented
          as the message for users whose flash or message verbosity level is
          brief. Note that providing no briefMessage will result in the full
          message being used for either. Callers wishing to present nothing as
          the briefMessage should set briefMessage to an empty string.
        """

I suspect that the above changes will make your existing script
functional -- assuming major changes in Ubiquity haven't also occurred.
If you have questions or get a traceback which makes you think I've
forgotten some detail you need, let me know.

Thanks!
--joanie