Re: [orca-list] using an update manager with Orca

Ednun Pourtahmasbi <ednunp googlemail com> wrote:

Is there another tool I should be using? And what sorts of things should I
be searching for or looking out for in the description to ensure Orca might
work with the application?

If it's a Debian-based distribution you could try aptitude (without any
options on the command line, or with options if you want to search for
packages that match specific criteria). Another possibility is dselect, but I
think aptitude is better.

As to what to look for in the package, anything which doesn't require X11 is
accessible. If it does require X11, then you'll be looking for GTK among the
dependencies; Java should also work, as do various other user interface
libraries used by Mozilla (Gecko), openoffice.org, etc. To be clear, I'm
suggesting that you read the "depends" field in the package, i.e., it's in the
output you get when you type "aptitude show packagename".

As above, this is for Debian-based distributions; if it's Red Hat, Fedora,
Suse etc., then it's all somewhat different.