Re: [orca-list] Draft Proposed Two-Year Roadmap

I don't think that it's possible to decide whether to partly rewrite Orca in C/C++ until some performance analysis is done, since we need to know whether or not it would significantly speed things up. There are a lot of factors which can affect performance aside from the programming language. Ie; do some of Orca's algorithms take a long time to run? If so, is this because it, for instance, repeatedly calls atk code that winds up doing some complex calculation on certain toolkits / in certain cases? Are there changes to at-spi's ipc or api that could be made to simplify the work that Orca needs to do? So this debate about whether to use C++ could be mostly moot in the end, or, if some of the significant performance issues are caused by things other than what I mentioned and we have an estimate as to how much using C/C++ could improve performance, then that will inform the discussion.

-Mike G-