[orca-list] Orca from source: Missing piece of the puzzle

Hi, all,

I've got a virtual machine running Debian Sid with Gnome3 which I'm
trying to get to speak with Orca.  I've built Orca successfully from
source.  I also built At-spi2's core and atk packages as wel as
pyatspi2.  Here's the problem:   When I tried running Orca from the
console with orca --t, it complained that it can't import pyatspi
because of a problem in the init.py file.  Consequently, it can't
interface with at-spi.  Are there some variables I have to set first
before running Orca so it knows where stuff is?  If so, does anyone
know what they are?

I had to build this thing all the way up from scratch because Sid has
at-spi2 2.0 in its repositories and Orca 3.3 calls for a higher
version which can only be gotten from ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources.
 Any help would be appreciated.  All files are in their default
locations as specified in the respective makefiles of the packages I
named i.e. subdirectories of /usr/local/.

Regards,
Alex M