[orca-list] Problems With Sound in Ubuntu 12

Hi all,

I know this issue has been discussed here before, but I don't recall
if there was any resolution found. My problem is that I have recently
acquired an older desktop that is having sound issues with Ubuntu
12.04. Every time I boot the computer the sounds are totally muted.
However, if I install Ubuntu 10.04 everything is fine. No issues at
all with the sounds being muted. Is there a way to fix this problem or
should I downgrade this computer to an earlier release until this
problem gets resolved in Ubuntu 12?

I don't understand why an older release of Ubuntu will work fine with
the sound card, an AC-97, and if I put Ubuntu 12 on it acts like the
sound card is dead. I have to have someone manually go in and reset
the volume controls to hear it, and the next time I reboot all the
levels go back to 0. Its driving me slightly nuts. :D

Cheers!