[orca-list] Unity-2d: Orca cannot access the menubar on the desktop

Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, how do you deal with it? When I start Ubuntu 12.04 and sign in, orca says “welcome to orca…desktop” I then press ALT+F10 to access the menu bar for Unity and the desktop. Unfortunately, the only visible items are the indicator icons. I know there is a menu part of the toolbar; its getting orca to consistently access it.