Re: [orca-list] BrailleNote Apex as refreshable Braille display

On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 01:00:21PM +1000, Jason White wrote:
Hussain Kadhem <hussainmkj gmail com> wrote:
i'm trying to hook up my sister's BrailleNote Apex to my box as a
refreshable braille display, but the system doesn't seem to recognize
it. I'm wondering if anyone's had any luck with this? I'm running Orca
version 3.4.2 and Ubuntu 12.04. I think the problem is with brltty,
because the display isn't getting picked up by Speakup either.

Speakup has nothing to do with braille displays; it's entirely handled by
BRLTTY.

If you're using a serial interface, you'll probably have to edit
/etc/brltty.conf and specify the type of braille display and the serial port
to use.
Yes, please tell us how you are connecting the device. Also, perhaps you
need to switch the device internally to act as a braille display? I know
nothing about BrailleNotes, but based on my experience of other devices,
one sometimes has to select the right mode before it can be recognised
properly.

Cheers,
S.M.