Re: [orca-list] Do we need "accessible" linux distributions anymore? was Re: Go to upper left and lower right corner in orca.

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013, Kyle wrote:
Slackware has been installable without sighted assistance for a very long
time.  A supported hardware speech synthesizer is required and an
installer will be installing with the speakup.s kernel and will have a
console-based environment to use once completed.  grml is a bit different.
Hardware or software speech can be used to install and run afterwards and
the last time I checked that out you needed the grmlmonster.iso to do it
which fits on a dvd only.  You're left in a console environment after
installation in grml too.  If you know what you're doing, it's possible to
install orca and all the eye candy on slackware too but you need to get
the slacke gnome distro which is an add-on for slackware and install that
after slackware then you can start playing with orca.  With grml it's
supposed to be possible to get all the eye candy and orca on the system
but I haven't yet done that so don't know detailed steps for that so won't
write further on that subject.  A real failure though is gentoo.  That
worked for a short time a few years ago but so far as I now know the
accessibility work died off.

According to Alex Midence:
# Trouble is, they are all essentially Debian based.  If you want to try
# other stuff like Red Hat clones (Fedora, Centos, ETC.), you?re out of
# luck without sighted assistance.  Same thing for Suse and Slackware.

Not entirely true, at least for openSUSE. I did an install of the GNOME 64-bit
CD in a virtual machine, and I didn't require any eyeball dependencies. I
can't say the same for Fedora or Slackware, as I haven't tried them recently,
but I know that I can use and install openSUSE. It's true that it's not as
easy as Ubuntu, which plays a bongo sound, I press control-s, and it starts
talking, or Trisquel, which just starts talking, but it is a bit unfair to say
that no non-Debian-based distros can be installed or tested without installing
additional eyeball dependencies. In order to get openSUSE talking, I booted
the CD, waited about a minute and a half just to be sure the desktop was up,
pressed alt-f2 and entered "orca" without the quotes. From there, I found
openSUSE to be nothing short of amazing to work with, and I highly recommend
it, especially to newer users who don't want a cluttered interface, and don't
want to learn a lot of command line geeky stuff. I hear Fedora is as good, but
it does still require some configuration after the initial installation, which
sadly doesn't speak. I do understand, however, that it is a goal of GNOME to
have a keystroke that will always activate Orca, as long as it gets installed
into the distro, which is fortunately the case for most of the well-recognized
names, so the number of mainstream distros we are able to use without hacking
around or eyeballs is going to increase greatly, hopefully within the next 2
to 3 GNOME versions.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/

jude <jdashiel shellworld net>