Re: [orca-list] using a braille embosser under ubuntu 13.4 64 bit

Unless it's a remarkable coincidence, that error message you got when you issued the original lpr command is a cups error message. It indicates that you are using a printer that doesn't exist. Did you configure the printer in cups? If you haven't done that, that's your problem. You can configure a printer in cups by pointing a browser to http://localhost:631. There's complete documentation there too. There is also only about ten gazillion hotos on configuring cups on google.

Honestly, why are you messing around trying to send files directly to the printer via the parallel port? If I had a braille embosser, I wouldn't be messing around. I'd at least try to get cups working. Once you get cups working, you will be able to print with the lp command. (The lpr command is included for backwards compatibility.)