Re: [orca-list] Built in Controls for Espeak Pretty Please with Sugar, cheeries, whatever it takes on top :)

hi
+100
Completely agree here

On 08/27/2014 11:47 PM, Alex Midence wrote:
Classic case of dev convenience versus user convenience.  Devs
seem to prefer spd because of its abstraction and so forth.  Users
prefer anything that makes the software do its job better
regardless of development philosophy.  I'm strongly in the "make
e-speak and Orca talk directly to each other" camp.  Too many
moving parts is not good sometimes.  Take the bug in Debian with
speech-dispatcher 8. Basically, unless you have pulse, it can't
open sockets and pretty much doesn't talk at all.  Thank god for
Espeakup on that box or I'd be only able to use it remotely via
putty.  If Orca coud talk to Espeak directly, this would be a non
issue for me.  IMHO too much depends on speech dispatcher.  if it
goes belly up, there is absolutely nothing else you can use to make
Orca talk anymore.  Used to be, there was libgnome-speech but Orca
support for it was discontinued.  Now, it's speech-dispatcher or
the sound of silence.  I can't tell you how frustrating it is to
know your machine has a perfectly functioning speech synth that
works like a charm with one package but not with another.  Speakup
and Emacspeak talk just fine. Orca, does not.  Dedicating work
hours to speech-dispatcher is very cold comfort if you don't code.

Alex M

On 8/27/14, kendell clark <coffeekingms gmail com> wrote: hi
Totally agree. I've switched to usinb libao, because of the alsa
bugs no one seems to want to fix. And please don't start in with
the use pulse audio option? Pulse is not an option for me, until
and unless it supports console speech out of the box