Re: [orca-list] trying Zorin

Actually this distro has gained some popularity.
On distro watch it's currently at number 10 out of around 300 distros, not bad/certainly not so unknown.
Sorry, not trying to be argumentative, I know
that distro watch is not the be all and end all in actualy useage tracking, and yes one can manipulate the
stats by getting a few dozen of your friends
to hit your distro's page daily, (and if some of them have access to a few proxys?)?..., but it generally
tracks pretty true to awareness and interest I
Hey what would want to  sey on the desktop in the beginning. Even someone's beloved windowsXP has

think. I suspect it boots in to something pretty gnomeish and you have to choose a different look, but I've
read nothing on exactly how this all works,
and do not know if they share a lot of technical data in easy to find places.
nothing on the desktop but a trash icon and my documents, oh a a link to my pc I guess, pretty much what was
there, trash home is my docs.
You are certainly correct about leaving main interfaces alone as they come from upstream alone being the
easiest way to insure reasonable accessibility
and interoperability assuming you are not tweaking and developing specifically towards better usability with
screenreaders and such.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Jason White wrote:
Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 08:35:58AM -0500

Glenn / Lenny <glennervin cableone net> wrote:
Well I gave Zorin a good go.
I was only able to get Orca going when I had to have someone click out of a
"do not show this window again" on the main screen.
I had to enter a terminal and type in orca.
I could call it up after logging out with control + S.
The desktop was nothing like anything, only a home icon, a trash icon and a
documents icon.

I don't think little-known distributions are likely to be accessible unless
they're specifically designed for accessibility.

This particular one I've never heard of anywhere.

If they package GNOME with no or few modifications then it might all just work
with Orca as is. In fact, I understand that this is how Arch Linux works: they
have a policy of keeping modifications of upstream releases to a minimum. This
strategy seems to work well.