Re: [orca-list] will installing mate mess up sighted users?

In no way does it get in the way other than the possible need to disable a few startup appications as
mentioned.
This may be partially or completely dealt with automatically now, but I'd check after adding and either
remaster to clean this up if needed, or if that
is hard then inform users which services to uncheck in startup apps.
The most I remember seeing was polkit, screensaver and sharing or similar I think that was for samba, and any
indicaters that you might have appearing
in the mate startup apps list.
At any rate inconvenience would be the same for sighted and non-sighted users.
If you have people who have used Linux desktops for a few years I suspect you will find many who like it.
Mate is probably the best maintained of the
GUIs   that are not search centric such as Unity and gnome, and is quite popular on several distros last I
checked.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  John Heim wrote:
Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 03:30:00PM -0500

We are a research institution. My end-users have good reasons -- well,
sometimes -- for wanting to be on the cutting edge. But I just mentioned the
upgrade to vivid as an aside. The real point of the question was to ask if
they are going to notice/complain about mate being installed.  They may like
it.  If it doesn't get in their way, I think I'll add it.

Good point, unles there is something specific your folks use that has a preferred version  in 15.04 I'd
say stickwith the lts, but you have probably
already thought about this?

--
John Heim
john johnheim com