Re: [orca-list] any accessible dash pane like app in Mate?

On Sunday 20 March 2016 11:15 PM, B. Henry wrote:
I think anything like this would for sure need to remain an add-on as the search driven stuff is where most
of the extra resource usage in gnome and
unity comes from, and mate is trying to remain medium light as far as I know.
Hey, I think you have a very good point there, but the search feature is not used every minit afterall.
I however am missing the serch feature in Gnome or Unity.
press super key and type first few lettter of what you want and it comes
up.
Is that so, I guess it did not work on my laptop.
May be some configuration problem I fancy.

I am not talking about the alt + f2 search, I am talking about the smart
search in gnome or unity.
snip
I am a bit unclear as to what this app is supposed to do/will google, but perhaps you can explain a bit about
it also, please.
If you see in Gnome you can get the application not just by name but also by it's description. Like you type spreadsheet, you correctly get calc, you type media, you get totem and vlc.
YOu type startup, you get startup disk creater.
I am talking of this kind of search.
there is matetweak, there you can get the redmont layout. It is on the last
card of matetweak. I like it very much.
Is that layout very accessible?
Does redmont also look good to sighted people?
I do go for a lot of gnu/linux propagation and most of the time I get lot of people due to good looks.

That is nothing to do with my personal usage, it is about one of the work I do.

I also do a lot of mentoring students so again it becomes a point.
All in all most of them liked Mate when I showed them and even my team is planning to switch over (all being sighted ).

snip
Notifications were working for a while in mate as far as I know/remember. I think the problem is a bug in
latest release.
There was a time when installing notify-osd, the Ubuntu notification thingy would give you accesible
notifications in mate.
I thin Kendell just reported that this no longer works/not running mate anywhere right now except the older
release  on vinux5, so can't easily confirm
what does and does not work.

Ah, that is interesting, I tryed Ubuntu 15.10, every thing works like a charm. Infact I was planning to put the ppa for Mate 1.12 and see how accessibility improves.
But the notifications are really doing well here.
select a Wifi icon and it tells the streigth strength and even its secured or non-secured nature, when it is connected it notifies accordingly.
Similar for other notifications.
So do you advice me to stick to this version?
happy hacking.
Krishnakant.