Re: [orca-list] sorry if offtopic: my problems and hoping to get solutions regarding first time linux users, that does not know anything, and does not have other machine to googling.

I booted my first Linux live CD in the summer of 2010, and with in a week had switched to Linux as my primary
OS. I had a few years of windows
experience, but was far from a computer expert, and while I knew more than many windows novices I was far
from what I would have considered a
power-user. I had older slightly buggy hardware as well, but did not take that  long to get up to speed on
Linux with the help of folks on the Vinux
mailing list.
Mostly due to minor hardware bugs I did have to  reinstall a time or few, but on reliable hardware I can
usually keep a linux instance running for
years. I had just as many problems with windows on the  buggy hardware as I had running Linux on it.
   But yes, sometimes we do break our installations.
As with windows or any other opperating system having good recent backups is if not a must, at least the
obvious way to avoid major frustration and save
many hours of time.
When you get your system customized  to your liking after new installation, back it up.
Then when ever you  make a major change such as installing new software that you like and use, changing
settings such as display prefferences, making ap
specific orca settings, or updating a lot of software, back up again.
You can set up automatic backups  on a scheduled basis. Daily if you run a distro like arch that updates
software a lot or if you do a lot of important
work on your computer and have vital data entered or updated frequently, maybe weekly if you only use your
computer for basic tasks like web browsing
and communication, (chatting and email), or what ever schedule seems best for you.
Many people do partial backups often, daily is common, and do complete system backups once in a while, weekly
or monthly.
There are many ways to do back ups, and one can not automate the prodcess and just make backups when you have
something important that has been changed
or added. Backup strategies and  how to use different back up software is a major topic in itself, and
something that I won't go in to. Google is your
friend. Just for the record I usually use rsync, and have daily backups of my most important settings
automated, along with lists of all installed
software that I can use to restore my computer to a  comfortable working state, or recreate an installation
on a fresh installation on the same or
another machine. I Usually try to have an image of my whole system available, but this I  only update
occasionally.
Another thing that I do and reccommend to everyone who is doing much more than testing ta  distro, or running
a more or less default system for training
purposes is to make a separate /home partition. This way one can re-install with out using personal data,
docs, music, other media and user specific
settings and customizations. This is best done when first installing, but a /home directory can be moved to
its own partition later with a bit more
work.
These are all obviously ways to deal with potential problems, up to and including total disaster such as
catestrophic disk failure. Ideally one will
rarely have to reinstall an opperating system.
Distros such as Ubuntu, fedora, etc. that come out with new releases every few months, or in the case of
Debian or long-term-support Ubuntu releases
every couple of years, (no schedule for Debian, but more or less every couple of years seems to be average),
are best installed from scratch rather than
trying to do release-upgrades, (upgrading from one release version to another in place).
Rolling release distros, Arch is a popular example continue to update software as it becomes available,
including major  updates. If you run a rollilng
release distro you need to update frequently so that there are not too many major updates to apply at one
time, and changes are not too drastic making
things more likely to break.
I reccommend trying to not go more than a week with out updating my Arch running laptop, and usually update
more or less daily.
Once in a while things do not update correctly, but they can almost always be fixed, and one can go years
with out having anything break during an
installation. I've gone a year or more a time or two with out any issues at all, and seldom is a fix more
complicated than removing a few files that are
left over from an old program version or some program that has been uninstalled, or downgrading from the
latest version of a software package to a known
to work version of the program in question.
One usually gets in to serious trouble when one panics and starts trying one thing after another, especially
suggestions from different sources with out
evaluating what the commands being run actually do.
Always make a list of all commands you run, and if you forget to do so  open your shell's history file and
see what  you ran, most likely this will be
your ~/.bash_history file and or /root/.bash_history and copying the commands related to any updates or
changes you made, and fixes you may have tried
in to a file that you clearly label.
Also, when something appears not to work that you think should REBOOT! I know I've forgotten to do this a
time or three and written to a mailing list
like this one, a group or forum asking for help only to find out that everything was fine once I either
restarted a graphical session or rebooted. A
full shutdown and cold boot is the best way to make sure that no old junk is left in memory that might be
causing a temperary issue.
Do not ever type commands from unreliable sources, and in general try to never run any command with out
having a pretty good idea as to what it is
supposed to do.
When looking for help online or in user manuals and such check dates. Often there are popular search results
that are 8, 10 or 15 or more years old.
Some things really do not change in major ways for many years, especially with some basic utilities that have
been around for as long or longer than
Linux, and certain commands and proceedures for doing some tasks have not changed much in more complex
software, but in many other cases both hard and
software are much more powerful and or have been changed and improved in ways that make doing things the old
way less than desireable, or downright
dangerous; and in other cases old commands just won't work.
One does certainly not need to know anything about programming to use modern Linux. One can do most things in
many or at least a few different ways.
Some users prefer using the commandline, typing in commands or choosing items from relatively simple menus
and lists either by arrowing or by using
keybindings to run commands or select menu items. Others prefer to only use programs with graphical
interfaces where they mostly select items from
menus, press buttons, etc. Many other folks, myself being one, use a lot from both categories. Configuring
and cpustomizing your system both in ways
that are obvious to the user and in ways that effect performance under the hood as it were can also be done
both on the command line and from graphical
interfaces.
When you change a program's settings, especially ones  you are not familiar with you should make one change
at a  time  and then see how it works. If
all is well,, then go on and change something else.
This is even more true when you are making changes to the opperating system itself, i.e. things that will
effect how many applications and or services
work.
When you go to upgrade any OS, windows included, read through the list of changes before pressing y or an OK
button. Especially if you are not using  a
distro like vinux, F123, (probably sonar is similar, but I'vew never used it), that is targeted at blind
folks you might uninstall orca because to a
mainstream distro it is an optional package. This could happen if you go to install some program that has
dependencies different from Orcas that
conflict. I've had to not install an app or two because of this, and not been able to update others because
of a package version  that was incompatible
with something Orca required.
One more general tip that comes to mind is to remember that most of what you read in Linux help and how-to
articles intended for a mainstream audience
will also apply to a screenreader user, but some tips only effect the way things look, and sometimes
something that makes for a pretty screen might
actuaolly break accessibility, or if not break, degrade it.
One thing that can be hard is waiting, but when something breaks to the point where one loses speech and they
do not have much of any idea what is
broken or why, then it's best to wait to get a few minutes of sighted help. If you have a good android or
iphone you can use an OCR ap to read what is
on your computer's screen as an alternative in many cases. If your computer has not actually booted when you
think it has and you start pressing keys
you might foul up your bios.
       Each case is different, so why why you had to reinstall LInux or thought you did anyway is not
something we can answer with out a lot of case
specific details, but you should usually be able to run a given Linux installation for years with out
reinstalling.
I highly  reccommend that those new to conputing or Linux join a good  user support group.
The best I've found is the Vinux-support google group, but if you do not use vinux or Ubuntu then you should
find a community of blind folk that use
your distro. There are F123 support mailing lists in English, Portuguese and Spanish. I know that a couple of
people on this list try hard to support
sonar users in a list for users of that distro. Some other groups are less
helpful, but still of value, and then there are IRC chat rooms. Google is for sure our friend. I'd say %95 of
my questions can be answered by a fairly
simple google search.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Amir-Trend Plus wrote:
Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 06:47:43PM +0800

Hi,
sorry if offtopic.
but since 2014, the first time i tried linux, always i get
problemssssss. changing distros is a must for me, desktop shells as
well. first unity, gnome, then mate. i can use it about several
months, then it broke. what is wrong? i mean, do any of you experience
it? am i the only who is too stupid and that is why i always destroy
linux? this morning, after doing update, my vinux cannot boot. then i
install sonar, i got different language, not english, eventhough i've
chosen english us as my language. then i use my other computer, find
the solution to change the language, then, restart and orca does not
speak. that was today, how about a year ago? i left linux for a w
hile, and use pirated windows since i cannot afford it, hoping to come
back again to see improvements. i don't blame anyone, but i don't
know. i see a lot of people here in this list, using orca and can use
linux as default os, but why i can't? what is the different? are linux
users a great programmer only? i mean, does you need to know
programming in order to use linux? if that, i don't have the
knowledge. no, i dont think everyone on this list are advance user.
there must be a beginner user at least. but why he can use linux, i
cannot? and, why his system doesn't broke, and mine is? i just did
updates and install some cool stuff, sutch as corebird (on vinux), and
pidgin, and audacity from other repo, and vlc andso on! why it broke!
and then, if something is not working, i need internet connection to
fix it? then how the people in the 90s witch does not have internet
learn and use linux? how do they know that they need to go to
terminal, type sudo apt-get install gnome-orca, to install orca? as a
beginner user, i find quite dificult to setup linux, because, each
time i need to repair ot install something, need to google. just know
i installed sonar mate, you  mate, cannot find wireless, so i am
stuck! at least i have another windows pc to use to find the solution,
the language problem i mean. but after fixing it, then orca stopped, i
am screwed! come on, can i use linux peacefully? i mean without
reinstalling, and googling for things. i don't know what to say
anymore, i don't want to use windows because, it is expensive, and for
now, i am student, i want to use linux, that is free and so on. the
programs are awsome too! ok let us say that one of you purchased a
computer and it is ppre-install with linux, sonar, or vinux, fedora,
ubuntu or so on. but you don't know how to use it, you don't have the
knowledge to do the terminal, or even launching orca. then, what will
you do? that is your first machine, no windows, no nothing. then how
will you get started? windows is quite popular then linux, so i don't
think there a lot of people around you know about linux. sorry again
because offtopic, but i need solutions! why other people can use linux
but i cannot?