Re: [orca-list] RFC: reporting spread sheet selection changes

But you want the screen reader to speak all that information if only one additional cell is selected or deselected? It's much more consistent and much less information overload if you have sells a1-c1 selected, you select d1 and it says "Selected D1. Then removing D1 from the selection should say "Deselected D1." This just presents things in a much more manageable format. If I need to hear the whole range of selected cells plus the text of the current cell, I should be able to press WhereAmI and hear something like "Cells A1 through D1 selected. Currently on cell D1: E-mail Address." This is the best example of giving me all the information only when it's needed, so I don't have to be confused every time I add or remove only one cell from the selection. If I add or remove a range, then I need to hear more information, but it should only be the newly selected range, though in that case, it wouldn't actually be any more verbose to give me the full selection range, but it can be more confusing due to consistency issues. So if I select down to the next row in the example above, I would expect Orca to say "Selected A2 through C2" and then if I deselect those sells again, "Deselected A2 through C2" should be spoken. This is consistent, less confusing and only tells me what I need to hear when I need to hear it. If I need more, it's very easy to get more. This is similar to the behavior I would expect when selecting files in a file manager, although if I select down a row, I don't think I want or need to hear every filename I just selected, as there would be no other way to pass along the fact that a whole row was selected. So maybe it would say "Selected 1 row" or similar in that case. Still, less is more for screen reader users, and the people writing all these other screen readers need to be taking this into account. It's not really good in this case to copy overly verbose screen readers just for the sake of copying them.

Imetumwa kutoka taa