[orca-list] Orca only says "screen reader on" in raspbian buster

Hi all,

I have my raspberry pi 4 and orca only says "screen reader on" and then I do
not get any speech. I did follow my own tutorial to install orca at
http://techesoterica.com/?p=1135

but I do not get any speech after orca has started. I tried running orca
--debug which created 2 files. I'll post their contents below.
debug-2020-01-21-14%3A03%3A53.out
14:03:53 - SETTINGS MANAGER: Activating
14:03:53 - SETTINGS MANAGER: Attempt to load orca-customizations from
/home/pi/.local/share/orca/orca-customizations.py succeeded.
14:03:53 - SETTINGS MANAGER: Activated

debug-2020-01-21-14%3A07%3A43.out
14:07:43 - SETTINGS MANAGER: Activating
14:07:43 - SETTINGS MANAGER: Attempt to load orca-customizations from
/home/pi/.local/share/orca/orca-customizations.py succeeded.
14:07:43 - SETTINGS MANAGER: Activated

I cannot see a problem. It seems to be stuck at the settings manager. What
can I do to see what is going on and then resolving this situation? I was
planning to install the mate desktop but would prefer to use the given lxde
desktop if at all possible because it is light.

Pranav