Re: [orca-list] Accessible linux system for a MacOS user

Hi there.

For orca, credits to Milton, here are the instruction.

I’ll include the entire message, cause you might get something out of it, just as I did.

Beginning of message

Hi Francisco,

I use Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS, Long Term Support) with Orca master. For my daily work I use Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice Writer and Calc, LIOS, Pluma, Gedit. In the terminal I use daisyplayer, ebook-speaker, translate-shell.

To get Orca master I copy a while ago on this mailinglist the following instructions:

1. Enable the Canonical repositories.

* Open software updater.

* Click the Ubuntu tab.

* Check the box source repositories.

* Click the other software tab.

* Check the boxes next to Canonical partners and Canonical partners source repositories.

* Click close.

* When requested, click reload cache.

2. Open a terminal window, press Alt+Control+T.

3. Install git, type or copy and paste the following command and press Enter.

sudo apt-get install git

4. Install build dependencies. Type or copy and paste the following command and press Enter.

sudo apt-get build-dep gnome-orca

* Answer yes to the ‘do you want to continue?’ prompt.

5. Get the orca source code. Type or copy and paste the following command and press Enter.

git clone https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/orca.git

6. Build and install orca.

!!WARNING!!

Follow the steps below exactly as typed. Doing something else will mess up your environment and cause file permission problems.

* Change to your orca repository created in step 5. Type the following and press Enter:

cd orca

* Configure orca source. Type the following command and press Enter.:

./autogen.sh

* build orca. Type the following command and press Enter.:

make

* Install the built binaries. Type or copy and paste the following command and press Enter:

sudo make install

7. When install is complete, restart the system.

After you can keep up with Orca master by executing the following commands in a terminal:

* first change to the orca folder

cd orca

* look for updates

git pull